A new year and new promotions for January 2018.
- Verizon started the year strong with a $450 offer that included a $150 prepaid card combined with $300 trade-in credit on eligible devices. The offer included the Pixel 2, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy Note8, Motorola Z2 Force Edition, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. The LG K20 V was offered free with a purchase of a new line of service.
- The $450 offer must have performed well, because by the middle of the month, Verizon added additional phones to it: the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6s Plus, and LG V30.
- However, deals this good don’t last long and by the end of the month, the promotion was no more.
- AT&T continued a buy one get one (BOGO) free deal at the beginning of February and added a few new models to the list. The models included the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Galaxy Note8, LG V30, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, LG G6, LG X Venture, and the Moto Z2 Force Edition. The iPhone X was not in the promotion.
- By the middle of the month the BOGO promotion continued, but the Motorola Z2 Force Edition was dropped from the offer. By the end of the month the LG X Venture was no longer available in the BOGO offer.
- At Sprint, the iPhone X and iPhone 8 were $300 off with a selected trade-in and a Sprint Flex plan. They also offered a lease-one-get the second-one free deal with the iPhone 7 256GB. If you only needed one the offer was $200 off.
- By the middle of the month, Sprint was offering a BOGO deal on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus with the Sprint Flex program. Also, with the Sprint Flex Lease, the offer was 50% off lease payments for the Galaxy 8 and Galaxy 8 Plus. The iPhone X with the Flex Lease was $30 a month which is low for a high value phone.
- Sprint continued the offer of a free year of unlimited service when switching from Verizon. Still a deal almost too good to be true.
- T-Mobile started the month continuing the BOGO promotions on the following models: LG G6, V20, and V30.
- By the middle of the month, T-Mobile added the BOGO offer for the newest iPhone and Galaxy models, while continuing with the LG models.
- If you only needed one phone T-Mobile had $150 off the latest Samsung and LG phones with a trade-in plus a credit of the value of your traded-in phone.
- The offers continued through the end of January.
- As usual Best Buy offered the carrier offers plus some of their own. Best Buy offered up to $250 gift card for purchasing an iPhone X with a trade in. Best Buy can offer unique trade-in offers from the carriers due to having their own trade-in program. For an unlocked Galaxy Note8, S8, or S8+, Best Buy had a $300 offer.
- By the middle of the month the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were included in the $250 offer. Through Sprint there was a $150 Best Buy gift card for the new Samsung and Apple devices. The Moto Z Force had a $200 savings when activating a new month plan.
- By the end of the month the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus had a $200-dollar gift card with a Sprint activation.
There were many similar offers this month from the holiday season, but Verizon took the lead with a combined offer of $450. This is the largest offer seen in the last few months. Sprint continued to put pressure on Verizon by offering the free year of service when switching from Verizon.
New phones slated to be announced or launched in February are the LG V30 Alpha, Nokia 9, Samsung Galaxy S9, Sony Xperia XZ1 Premium, and Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S. Will the announcement of Samsung S9 change the promotions in February? We will find out shortly.